Topic - PSAs, not PDAs.
Tech - Five rules for dealing with computer techs (https://medium.com/@mnmltek/five-rules-for-dealing-with-computer-techs-4d8af81a1d78):
* If a computer tech is working on your equipment for free, food and drink is a mandatory payment.
* Just because you see your tech around town doesn’t mean you can automatically ask them a question about your computer problems.
* Don’t expect your old equipment to be able to run the latest and greatest software.
* When a computer tech tells you a potential solution to your computer problem, do not say, “No I don’t think that’s it.”
* Do not antagonize, tease, or talk down to a computer tech.
Shopping - Avoid the late-November rush
It is interesting to see a subset of people, mostly close to tech, gravitating towards the days of the iPhone 1. The days before apps.
* Black Mirror actress Rashida Jones: “Nosedive” episode released back in fall 2016
* More from the front lines of addiction...that is is the digital age: https://journal.thriveglobal.com/rashida-jones-on-smartphone-life-i-cant-anymore-1f3b6ad96331
* Lightphone: https://www.thelightphone.com/
* Runcible: http://mono.hm/
* Punkt: https://www.punkt.ch/en/products/mp01-mobile-phone/
* Apple Watch Series 3
--Kevin Rose: https://www.kevinrose.com/
AJ's view: really likes the principle behind Monohm- would like to see tech change towards a more natural (look and manufacturing materials) and ability to repair or upgrade by modules (see PhoneBlocks (https://phonebloks.com/) and ARA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Ara) project reference) or the Fairphone (https://shop.fairphone.com/en/)
* PhoneBlocks blog keeps good tabs on activity in the Movment: http://blog.phonebloks.com/
* All devices from smartwatch to phones.
* RePhone Kit (about $60 usd kickstarter)- what if our phones were opensoruce and modular...http://blog.phonebloks.com/post/130486707708/rephone-kit-an-open-source-modular-phone-by
* * *
Tech That Caught our eye
* ReMarkable eInk tablet. https://remarkable.com/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook%2Binstagram&utm_campaign=Prospecting+-+AL+-+Smartly&utm_content=Prospecting+-+AL+-+Smartly+-+US+and+CA+-+Video+Post+-+Video+-+Screen+-+20+sec+-+Film+5+-+Hard+selling+-+1%3A1&utm_id=59d7b49ab5fbbc5b9205869a
(Watch spotting: SKX) lol
One ding against it- NO Browser- touting a distraction free experience.
Shipping November- $599
* * *
Connect with us
* **AJ**: patreon.com/ajbarse (http://patreon.com/ajbarse) or follow on Twitter (https://twitter.com/ajbarse)/Instagram (http://instagram.com/ajbarse) @ajbarse.
* **Chris**: bit.ly/quietchris (http://bit.ly/quietchris) or follow on Twitter (https://twitter.com/mnmltek)/Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/mnmltek/) @mnmltek.
* **Twitter Hashtags**: #bhampodcast and #quietconversations
* * *
Listen to us
* If you're in the Bellingham area, be sure to listen to our show on KMRE 102.3 FM (http://www.kmre.org/bellingham-podcast-media-tech/)! Thursdays @ 9:00 am and Saturdays @ 1:30 pm.
* * *
Talk to us
* Got a question about technology or anything else about life in Bellingham? Call 201-731-8324 (tel:2017318324) (TECH) and leave us a voicemail, and ask us nicely! We may include it in one of our future shows.
* * *
Subscribe to us
* iTunes, Google Play Store, Soundcloud, Spreaker, or wherever else you podcast. And check out our website at bellinghampodcast.com (http://bellinghampodcast.com/)