Summer has taken its last curtain call, and autumn brings that desire to be warm and cozy. Are you wanting to experience...“a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment.” The Danish folks have a term for this: It's called Hygge. AJ and Chris talk about what makes up Hygge for them here in the PNW as part of their new mini-sieres "A Word of Note."
What is Hygge?
From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygge).
Who has talked about Hygge?
From Vice News (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl74ybpyNLk). ”Also been called Socializing for Introverts.”
A Danish native. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZ-5dTUpgk) “A better and more relaxed version of yourself.”
From the Today show (https://www.today.com/health/what-hygge-little-book-hygge-explains-danish-secret-happiness-t109084), if you want a happy, vapid, feel-good look at Hygge that has no retaining substance to it.
The Little Book of Hygge (https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062658807/the-little-book-of-hygge/) available from Harper Collins.
Chris' version of Hygge
* Quiet serenity with nothing on the calendar.
* A clean organized space.
* A glass of seltzer water.
* Low light. Two candles, one of them scented with a non-gagging aroma.
* Low Volume Music, e.g. Tor Lundvall - A Dark Place (https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Place-Tor-Lundvall/dp/B0787J4K1G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538062121&sr=8-4&keywords=tor+lundvall) #GhostAmbient
Breaking News: You can have Pumpkin Spice ~whatever~ all year round.
AJs version of Hygge
* A vibe seen in his photog: wrapped up in Patreon Skookum updates pounding out on a typewriter
* Saturday mornings before everyone gets up.
* Journal + Coffee+ Quiet=" Mental" Reset
* Methodical coffee, hand grinding the beans et al.
* And yes, his watch. #pnw001
* OmmWriter https://ommwriter.com/
Where in Bellingham/Whatcom County can we find Hygge?
Chris finds Hygge at:
Village Books - Third Floor
Rustic Coffee in Fairhaven
AJ finds Hygge at:
“The Mountain doesn't care...” = Mental North
Looking for cafes that have this vibe for a little respite when traveling
*AJ*: patreon.com/ajbarse (http://patreon.com/ajbarse) or follow on Instagram (http://instagram.com/ajbarse) @ajbarse AND an all new www.ajbarse.com (http://www.ajbarse.com/)
*Chris*: mnmltek.micro.blog (https://mnmltek.micro.blog/) or chrispowell.co (http://www.chrispowell.co/)
*Twitter Hashtags*: #bhampodcast
If you're in the Bellingham area, be sure to listen to our show on KMRE 102.3 FM (http://www.kmre.org/bellingham-podcast-media-tech/) Thursdays @ 9:00 am and Saturdays @ 1:30 pm.
Got a question about technology or anything else about life in Bellingham? Call 201-731-8324 (tel:2017318324) (TECH) and leave us a voicemail, and ask us nicely! We may include it in one of our future shows.
iTunes, Google Play Store, Soundcloud, Spreaker, TuneIn, or wherever else you podcast. And check out our website at bellinghampodcast.com (http://bellinghampodcast.com/)