We're playing around with work-life balance and how we can keep it in balance. How much social media takes up our time? Are all those notifications at work making you work better? And on that commute, do you work more time than you are paid? Listen to AJ and Chris talk about the 8-8-8 method of looking at time in your day; 8hrs of work, 8hrs of play, 8hrs of sleep. And how time is being balanced in the US, UK, and France...all that a more on this episode of The Bellingham Podcast.
The primer: Aug- Forbes : Why You Should Limit Your Time On Social Media
* “In a study last year (https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2017/12/hard-questions-is-spending-time-on-social-media-bad-for-us/), Facebook found that heavy users of the site have worse mental health, and that it can impact users' mood.”
* A study from the University of Pittsburgh (https://www.upmc.com/media/news/levenson-primack-smsleep) found that adults visit social media sites for an average of 61 minutes a day and visit various social media sites on average 30 times a week, and that it impacts sleep”
“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” - Confucius
“The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark” - John Muir Son of the Wilderness: The Life of John Muir (1945), page 331
“I work and work all day, but lucky me, my work is my play.” - Ted Nugent (?)
Where does the time go?
* “Eight hours labour, eight hours recreation, eight hours rest.” - Robert Owen, New Lanark textile mill owner, 1817 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Owen).
* _*“Logged off: Meet the teens who refuse to use social media” The Guardian published Aug 28 *_
* “Generation Z has grown up online – so why are a surprising number suddenly turning their backs on Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat?”
* “One 2017 survey of British schoolchildren found that 63% would be happy if social media had never been invented. Another survey of 9,000 internet users from the research firm Ampere Analysis (https://www.ampereanalysis.com/) found that people aged 18-24 had significantly changed their attitudes towards social media in the past two years. Whereas 66% of this demographic agreed with the statement “social media is important to me” in 2016, only 57% make this claim in 2018. As young people increasingly reject social media, older generations increasingly embrace it: among the 45-plus age bracket, the proportion who value social media has increased from 23% to 28% in the past year, according to Ampere’s data.”
* France bans smartphones in schools
* “More that 90% of French children between the ages of 12 and 17 had mobile phones in 2016, up from 72% in 2005, according to French telecoms regulator ARCEP (https://www.arcep.fr/uploads/tx_gspublication/Barometre-du-numerique-2016-CGE-ARCEP-Agence_du_numerique.pdf).
* “The ban on smartphones as well as other kinds of internet-connected devices, such as tablets, applies to schoolchildren between 3 and 15 years of age, and was passed by lawmakers on Monday. French high schools, or lycées, with students 15 and older, will get to choose whether to adopt the phone ban for their pupils.”
* :”Our increasing dependence on smartphones has given rise to the term "nomophobia," or "NO MObile PHOne phoBIA" (https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/30/health/smartphone-addiction-study/index.html) -- the fear of not being able to use your cell phone or other smart device. One survey from the UK showed that 66% of respondents have some form of nomophobia and 41% of those respondents said they had two or more phones in order to stay connected.”
Books & Media:
Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manua (https://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Equals-Freedom-Field-Manual/dp/1250156947)l - Jocko Willink, former Navy SEAL
Rejoin the DGR : https://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/barse
The Power of Habit (https://www.amazon.com/Power-Habit-What-Life-Business-ebook/dp/B0055PGUYU/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1535728032&sr=1-15&keywords=discipline) - Charles Duhigg (Cue, Reward, Routine)
*AJ*: patreon.com/ajbarse (http://patreon.com/ajbarse) or follow on Instagram (http://instagram.com/ajbarse) @ajbarse AND an all new www.ajbarse.com (http://www.ajbarse.com/)
*Chris*: mnmltek.micro.blog (https://mnmltek.micro.blog/) or chrispowell.co (http://www.chrispowell.co/)
*Twitter Hashtags*: #bhampodcast
If you're in the Bellingham area, be sure to listen to our show on KMRE 102.3 FM (http://www.kmre.org/bellingham-podcast-media-tech/) Thursdays @ 9:00 am and Saturdays @ 1:30 pm.
Got a question about technology or anything else about life in Bellingham? Call 201-731-8324 (tel:2017318324) (TECH) and leave us a voicemail, and ask us nicely! We may include it in one of our future shows.
iTunes, Google Play Store, Soundcloud, Spreaker, TuneIn, or wherever else you podcast. And check out our website at bellinghampodcast.com (http://bellinghampodcast.com/)