AJ and Chris take a deeper dive into the PNW State of Mind series. This episode looks at our mindset and habbits, a Journey to the Center of the Mind! Mindfulness, sleep, meditation, and the mentally behind hitting the jackpot on social media.
* Follow up from last week.
* Mentioned but ran out of time to talk about tried/using Zero fasting app:
* Tried Soylent : https://soylent.com/
* Out of geek/biohacker culture...and now going main stream: Walmart
Mindfulness? Mediation? Sleep?
* How to leverage our internal circadian rhythm to get better sleep
* No screens (or bright light) at night
* No caffeine, alcohol, or sleeping pills
* Colder temps
* Stay on schedule
* Wakeup routines, tech to help wake up or track sleep
What AJ is trying:
* Social media- what's that?
* “You're All Caught Up” https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/02/instagram-do-not-disturb/
* Rethink “social media” as Forums- NOT as what it once was promising.
* Kids with a little too much screen time issue?
* iOS hack for parents: Guided Access Mode (under accessibility)
* This has been a round for a LONG time (iOS 6), but surprised that more parents with retired iPads and kids don't know it exists
* Oak (https://www.oakmeditation.com/) - Meditation and breathing app from Kevin Rose
What Chris is trying:
* Headspace for iOS (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/headspace-meditation/id493145008?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4) and Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.getsomeheadspace.android) - Freemium app, co-founded by a former Buddhist monk
Books & Media:
* Why we Sleep (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=why+we+sleep) - Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker
* Classical Stuff You Should Know: https://www.classicalstuff.net/
* Art of Manliness: The Adventure of Silence: https://pca.st/67Qj
* Sleep with me: https://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com (http://castbox.fm/u/5673246)
* Streaks by Crunchy Bagel https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/streaks/id963034692?mt=8
* Productive app for iOS - http://productiveapp.io (http://productiveapp.io/)
*AJ*: patreon.com/ajbarse (http://patreon.com/ajbarse) or follow on Instagram (http://instagram.com/ajbarse) @ajbarse AND an all new www.ajbarse.com (http://www.ajbarse.com/)
*Chris*: mnmltek.micro.blog (https://mnmltek.micro.blog/) or chrispowell.co (http://www.chrispowell.co/)
*Twitter Hashtags*: #bhampodcast
If you're in the Bellingham area, be sure to listen to our show on KMRE 102.3 FM (http://www.kmre.org/bellingham-podcast-media-tech/) Thursdays @ 9:00 am and Saturdays @ 1:30 pm.
Got a question about technology or anything else about life in Bellingham? Call 201-731-8324 (tel:2017318324) (TECH) and leave us a voicemail, and ask us nicely! We may include it in one of our future shows.
iTunes, Google Play Store, Soundcloud, Spreaker, TuneIn, or wherever else you podcast. And check out our website at bellinghampodcast.com (http://bellinghampodcast.com/)